Search

Friday, November 19, 2010

One Question

Exams were going on. We had 3 days leave between the exams. One of the worst papers in my opinion was that of "Computer Architecture", in which we study in detail about the overall organization and architecture of the basic computer.

It was a complete theory paper with many block diagrams here and there. In 3 days we were expected to study a 700pgs book with size 10 fonts.

Day 1:
I start studying early in the morning. By 10am I am in Disney World Hongkong. I return at 2pm. I eat and then have my ritualistic afternoon nap. I start again at 6 pm. Dinner at 8pm. Back to Hongkong at 10pm. The book remains wide open. Progress - 20pgs

Day 2:
With little panic rising I again start studying early. With so much of theory to remember, it seems like a Herculean task to study 5 pages in an hour. Yet the day goes somewhat similar to the previous day. Only today I manage to study half of 1 unit and half of another out of a total of 5 units. The book still remains open as I go to bed that night, shivering a little. Progress- half a unit each in 2 units.

Day 3:
Today I wake up completely scared, shivering with exam pneumonia or exam influenza, I guess, because 'exam fever' would definitely be an understatement to my then state. I try to flip through the pages as fast as I could. I try to remember what I understand and try to by-heart what I don't. By afternoon my progress bar reads 2 units with a few questions left out here and there. This totally freaks me out. I start again after having lunch, this time trying a different approach. Me and my friend take up a unit and split the topics among us. We will study our respective topics and whatever else we could. When both of us have done reading our respective topics we will explain those topics to the other over the phone. But after a long time we realize that we are making no significant progress so give up on our grand plans and continue to study. Dinnertime comes and goes, no idea what I ate. After dinner spent 1 and a half hours on the phone with another friend (you remember Bunny right?). After this my progress bar said I had half the unit in 1 unit and some 5 to 10 topics collectively in the remaining 4 units left and my battery meter was down to 1 bar. I went to sleep and again the books remained open.

D-Day:
I was leaving for the college when my mom started to say her usual "Good Luck!"s. She paused for a moment and asked,"Wait a minute, what exam did you say you had today?"
I was having my breakfast so with a full mouth I replied,"Computer Architecture, ma..."
And her response to this,"Architecture-a? Nee yedo computer-nu thaane sonna?"

1 comment:

  1. Idhuevvalavo thevalaam! my mom asked me in the morning of 3nd day of the leave... 'unaku exam illa?? innum kelambaama irukka' my heart stooped beating!! hey dandanakka!!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete