Search

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Samosas


You know those tiny samosas they sell in local buses and trains? Have you noticed that even though they are tiny and have practically 0.25gms of filling, they still have this excellent aroma!
Today we had one of our semester practicals exam and tomorrow we have another. Our semester exams are also approaching. So I had decided to refrain from eating outside as much as possible.


I was to return home by bus, after my exam got over today. It was around 1 PM, lunchtime and I was hungry. When I reached the bus stand, I found many buses which go to my stop, standing there. I got onto one bus at random and waited. The seats in the bus were almost full. I was sitting  in the last row on the right hand side. There was a lady sitting next to me near the window.










I was sitting there for around 15mins and neither the driver nor the conductor had come yet. Hawkers started selling their wares. I was looking out of the window. Then all of a sudden came the smell of the freshly fried, hot spicy samosas seasoned with coriander and finely chopped green chillis. It made me turn. I looked towards the front of the bus and saw that a guy was selling a basket full of it at 1 per rupee. I was hungry, but still I tried to control my temptation. After a few minutes I notices a family of 4 women and a small girl buying some 20 or so samosas. It did not bother me much as I wasn't paying much attention to it. Then that guy came towards the back rows to sell it. No one bought the samosas. Thank God!! I thought. The guy was almost getting off the bus when the lady sitting "right next to me", called him and have him a Rs.5 coin. He promptly gave that lady 5 samosas. 


That lady spent the next 20 mins eating 3 and a half samosas, the aroma of the samosas and the corriander and the chopped chillis alluring me!(&#$^*%@$%#$^$&%# !!!) I endured it, all the while turning to the other direction. And then I lost it. So I got up and sat in the empty seat on the other side. Just as I sat, I noticed that small girl and her mom and aunties finish the 20 samosas and drink water. I was getting hungrier. Again I tried to ignore it and turned my full concentration to looking for the kittens I've seen a few times in the bus stand. There were a few college boys sitting in the middle of the bus on the other side. Suddenly a friendly fight broke between them. 


"Dei, nee moonu sapta da! Naangallam rendu than saptom!"
(Hey, you ate three! We all ate only two each!)
"Aama da!"
(Yes!)
"Dei! Inga enakku onnu than da irukku! Nee yen da moonu sapta??!!"
(Hey! There's only one left for me! Why did you eat three??!! )
"Vidra vidra! Samosa thaane!"
(Leave it, Leave it! It was just a samosa!)
"Dei! oru rooba da!"
(Hey! It was 1 Rupee!)
     .
     .
     .
     .


I was about to erupt but was distracted by a woman getting onto the bus. At that moment all I wanted was for the driver and conductor to come and for the bus to start. The lady who got on looked for some place to sit. The front seats were all full and the only seats left was the one beside me. So, she sat down. She had some bags which she then started adjusting to hold them comfortably. The topmost bag was a small one with   5 of the MINI SAMOSAS!!!!! This was it!!!!! 


I got off the bus immediately and got onto another bus standing nearby. After less than 2mins, I saw the samosa bus pulling out of the bus stand with all its samosa hungry goblins!


My bus started after a few minutes. I reached home after a while. Only after stuffing my mouth with 3 Dark Fantasy cream biscuits, 2 papads and a banana did I get back to normalcy. I don't believe it myself but I was still able to have a full lunch! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment