Search

Monday, October 17, 2011

Vote - Without voter's ID card!

I cast my vote today! :)





Yes, I cast my vote today without actually possessing a voter's ID card.


I had applied for a voter's ID card about one year back. We have been enquiring about it every week for the past 6 months in the corporation office. We would literally go to the Corporation office every week and ask! But all they could say was that it has not come yet. 


Today morning my parents went to vote. I was physically awake making breakfast but my brain was still sleeping. It had been only a few minutes since my parents had left to cast their vote, when my dad called home. He said that my name was on the electoral rolls and I should get ready immediately. Only then did my brain wake up and I hastily got ready. Almost as soon as I got ready, my parents returned and I started wearing my sandals. Just then my mom asked,"Hey you are going to vote alright, but did you decide to whom you are going to vote for?". Only then did it strike! Since I did not have a voter's ID card I had not given even the least thought to whom I was going to vote for!


But then I decided, I will go to the booth, find out who the candidates are, think of who's best and then cast the vote. Easy plan. 


But my plan was useless and was an utter flop! When I reached the booth, I saw that the list of candidates had been put up in many focal positions but all in Tamil!!!! I can't read Tamil. OK I mean, if I started reading I would finish reading the list when the start closing the booth for the day! So there goes my plan down the drain! 


So I had to decide based on the party symbol. Then I went into the booth. Since I did not have a voter's ID card, I had to show some other photo identity. I showed my driving license. Turns out that my name was added in an additional list or something and my voter's ID card had not yet been printed! 


Anyway, I at last cast my first vote! No, actually, my 1st 2 votes. The election was for the mayor and some local body representative. But I don't know who I voted for! Seriously, from the next time at least, they should put the list in English also! For characters like m. :P 


But at least they said that my voter's ID card would be provided soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment